Materials and tools:
- 8 Large Oranges
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Cookie sheet
- Aluminum Foil or Parchment Paper
- White Twine
- Plastic Needle
Step 1: Prep the Oranges
- Preheat your oven to 230 (this will vary based on your oven and orange thickness anywhere from 225-250).
- Line your cookie sheets with Aluminum foil. You can fit about 12-15 Orange slices per sheet.
- Slice each orange into 1/8 to 1/4″ slices.
- Make sure to dab off any excess juice with a paper towel.
Tip: Having a little helper is perfect for eating the oranges that don’t make the final selection.
Step 2: Bake Oranges
- Bake Oranges in Oven for 4 hours (time will vary based on your oven). When they start to brown and dry remove from oven. You can flip them half way through in order to provide consistent coloring.
- Let oranges cool for several hours to days.
Step 3: String Oranges
- Using twine or fishing line and a needle string the thread through the orange skin vs the rind. You can also use beads between each orange peel. I ended up weaving my orange garland into garland that I hung up on a tension rod.
I hope you have so much fun making this easy craft for the holidays. It’s the perfect way to add a cozy touch to your home.